Friday, December 11, 2009

Christmas Goodies

Amazing that Christmas is just around the corner! Almost all of my shopping is done...thank goodness! My little sister Sarah and I hit the "Black Friday" sales and scored! At Toys R Us we each saved in discounts about as much as we spent! Everywhere we went we made friends in lines and helped each other get what we all wanted! We hope to see "Mike" on "So You Think You Can Dance" next year.

Now that the kids are back "on-track" I am trying to get our goodies for people made. I got a lot done today! Here is what my little goodie bags look like.

Inside is my traditional Peppermint Bark
recipe:
12 cut up candy canes
1/2 tsp. peppermint oil (extract)
2 lbs white chocolate

-line a 11x17 cookie sheet with wax paper/parchment paper
-melt white chocolate (I do in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time)
-mix in candy canes and peppermint oil
-spread onto cookie sheet
-refrigerate for 30 minutes and cut into desired pieces
-will stay good in fridge for a week

I also included my chocolate covered cinnamon bears
recipe:
1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
1 tsp shortening
cinnamon bears/santas

-Mix chocolalte and shortening and melt (I do in the microwave for 30 sec at a time)
-Cover cinnamon bear with chocolate by holding bear with a toothpick
-place on parchment covered baking sheet
-refridgerate for 30 minutes
-will stay good in fridge for a week

Finally, last year my christmas goodies included caramel and chocolate covered pretzel rods. They were a huge hit! This year I first dipped the rods into caramel, then chocolate and ended by covering them with oreo or toffee bits. Amazing! Here is a photo:

Caramel Chocolate Pretzel Rods
8 large pretzel rods
5 1/2 oz soft caramel
2 tsp cream
1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
1 tsp shortening
desired toppings

-line baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray
-melt caramels and cream (I did in microwave for 30 seconds at time and keep warm in crockpot or stove) an put on baking sheet.
-refridgerate 30 minutes to harden caramel
-melt chocolate and shortening (I do in microwave for 30 seconds at a time)
-coat caramel covered rods with chocolate let dry for a bit and roll into desired topping
-refridgerate 30 minutes.

Yummy treats for a wonderful season!

2 comments:

  1. Golly those look so good! I have been thinking I need to get on my ward/neighbor gifts. I just might steal more recipes from you! I love the family pic on your header! It turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the picture of your kids. I finally got up and around to blogging again. Love your recipes. Thanks for sharing. I am thinking I might have to host a dinner and invite some old friends. I'll let you know. Carri

    ReplyDelete